Friday, April 10, 2009

The northern shore of Israel

We've had a weekly tradition going for some time now: we leave home quite early on Friday afternoon, go out to eat, usually in Karmiel, and then head for the northern shore, just south of Lebanon. Up until yesterday, though, I kept forgetting to bring my camera. This time, I remembered, though, and here are some of the pictures that I took.

First, we have the general view. In this picture, you can see the cliffs of Rosh HaNikra, which are at the extreme northwest corner of Israel. This is where the border between Israel and Lebanon meets the Mediterranean Sea.

Here's a zoomed view, where you can see Rosh HaNikra ("Grotto Head") more clearly. Just slightly right of the center of this picture is the southern entrance to a railroad tunnel that was built by the British during the time of the Mandate. There are actually 2 tunnels, and the one further north exits in Lebanon. Normally, we can drive on a road that follows the route of the former railroad almost all the way to the entrance in this picture, but yesterday, the last stretch of that road was closed to traffic.

In case you haven't noticed, I really like photographing flowers. Here's a nice view of some flowers that were quite common in that area:

I especially like red flowers, so here's a really nice poppy that I managed to snap:

Bees on flowers are another one of my favorites. Here's a good one:

For most of this area, there's really no beach, because there are many rocks along the shore. It's interesting to see the interaction of the waves with the rocks, and so this time I tried something new: using the video capability of my camera. Here's the result:

No comments: