Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tsfat juxtapositions

This post is about interesting things I have seen and heard recently here in צפת Tsfat, one of Israel's 4 holy cities, which correspond to the 4 elements recognized by the ancients (Tsfat corresponds to Air because of its elevation; the others are ירושלים Jerusalem, connected to Fire because of the temple sacrifices; חברון Hebron, associated with Earth because of the graves of the patriarchs and matriarchs there; and טבריה Tiberias, linked with Water because of its location next to הכנרת the Kinneret, also known as "The Sea of Galilee").

The other day, I had gone to the bank to deposit some money. When I came out, I saw a sign that I hadn't noticed before (although it's likely that it's been there for some time). It said, in English, "Body Piercing Studio". I think perhaps I've seen some of their artistry around town, all on people under 25 (and some under 18, I'm sure). Anyway, I thought it was an interesting sign to see on רחוב ירושלים Jerusalem Street, which is the main road in "downtown" Tsfat.

Today, we went into town again on a couple of errands. Since we were heading for the pet store, we took the shortest route, which led us right through Tsfat's only real mall (yes, there is another one, but it's virtually empty). Anyway, this mall is so small that the whole thing would probably fit inside some large Gap stores in the States. It does have "elevator music" playing over the speakers, however, like a proper mall. The song that was playing caught my ear, so I listened a little more closely. Sure enough, it was אבינו מלכנו Avinu Malkenu, one of my favorites, the well-known High Holiday song. In this case though, it was being belted out by a female singer with full instrumental accompaniment in a pop music style perhaps somewhat like Mariah Carey!

At this time of year (between ראש השנה Rosh HaShana and יום כיפור Yom Kippur), one can hear people all over town greeting each other with גמר חתימה טובה Gmar khatima tova ("May you finish with a good sealing!"). Of course, this is a religious phrase referring to the final heavenly outcome at the end of the High Holidays, but even very secular people often give this greeting.

No comments: