Sunday, December 13, 2009

An example of the efficiency of the Hebrew language

We very frequently drive through the Rama Junction. It's only a short distance this side of Karmiel, so we drive through it whenever we go there. We also drive through it every time we travel to Naharia, which we do at least once a week. It's quite a dangerous junction because of the volume of traffic on both of the roads that cross there. So, recently they have been doing construction there, and it was immediately quite obvious to me that they would be widening the main road and, I assumed, putting in a traffic light. The last several times through there, I have been able to read part of the sign that actually tells what they are doing. The interesting word I learned from it is ורימזור v'rimzur. Now, although I haven't checked, I doubt that this word, or even the verb from which it comes, is in any of my dictionaries. Yet it's easy to figure out what it means.

We start with the word רמזור ramzor, which means "traffic signal" (see, Hebrew is already more efficient!). By the way, this was actually constructed from 2 separate Hebrew words, רמז remez, meaning "hint", and אור or, meaning "light" (which gives us a hint about the Israeli attitude towards this device!). From all of this, I was able to easily figure our that the word on the sign, ורימזור means "and traffic light installation". How's that for efficiency?

No comments: