Friday, March 5, 2010

First time as khazan at EVS

Last night I served as חזן khazan (cantor) for the first time at our synagogue, אמת ושלום Emet v'Shalom, in Nahariya. Our rabbi, who usually is also חזן, is in Argentina for a month, visiting family attending attending a couple of family events there. Everyone said that I did a good job, and I felt that it went well, too. Some parts of the prayers (usually the middle parts) are not usually sung but are read instead. When I tried reading them at home, though, I sounded like a 1st- or 2nd-grader who hasn't quite learned to read fluently yet. So I enlisted help from 3 of the young people of our congregation, all of whom are bilingual native speakers of both Hebrew and English. They did a beautiful job! Thanks, Ayelet, Odelia, and Elad! I also had some help from David Lahav, a member who usually sings certain of the songs. Thanks to him, as well!

No comments: