Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Object lesson in a bagel shop

Today, we decided to take our friend, Mikimi, out to lunch at M Bagel, in town. It was very busy when we first got there, but we weren't in a hurry so we just waited and chatted until the crowd dissipated. David and Mikimi each had a stuffed butternut squash, but I opted for a bagel. The guy who fixed it is one of the regular guys there, a young haredi (ultra-orthodox) man. He speaks English well, and he's always friendly. When he was trying to put the black olives on my bagel, several of them kept falling off. I said, "They just keep trying to run away."

He said, "Yes, but we'll get them all back. They're just like the Jews, who keep running away. But God brings them back."

To which I replied, "And so, here we are!" We both gave each other big smiles and chuckled a little. I thought to myself, "His theology is probably quite different from mine, but this is a point that I think we can agree on whole-heartedly." Indeed, we ARE here, and there's no better place for us to be.

No comments: