Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rosh HaShanah ראש השנה

First of all, שנה טובה Shanah Tovah to everyone, and חג שמח Hag Sameach!

Last night (Monday, ערב ראש השנה), we attended services at אמת ושלום Emet V'Shalom, our Reform congregation in נהריה Nahariya. The prayers were very nice. Although they had set up many more chairs than usual, the attendance was only about the same as a regular Friday night (although that's still a pretty good number of people). Before we began, the rabbi came over to me and asked me if I would sing אחת שאלתי Achat Sha'alti one more time (I had already sung it both the the previous 2 Friday nights). Of course I agreed, and I think it went very nicely.

After services, we went to Avi's house (Esther's father) for a nice celebratory meal. Besides us, there were Esther and Eyal and their 2 children, Avi, Eyal's parents and brother and brother's roommate, and another couple of Americans who made aliyah more recently than we did. It was also very enjoyable. I even managed to communicate with Eyal's parents in Hebrew and to understand some of the Hebrew conversation. His father speaks some English, but his mother quite a bit less, I think.

No comments: